Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The P Word

Not that word you knuckle draggers. An even worse word, Plastic! That is right, my mortal enemy, the cause of everything cheap and mass manufactured. The very reason why things don't last as long, wear as well, or look as nice.

I am torn. It is a hand tool...but is cheap and kind of disposable.

I am currently in the process of making a traditional English style workbench (a step by step tutorial to come) and I needed a saw to do some mortise and tenon work, crosscuts, and ripping. Because my tool budget is non existent, and I don't have the time to find an antique saw to tune and sharpen I went against all my morals and bought the Stanley SharpTooth saw from Home Depot. It is recommended by Chris Schwarz so I figured it was worth a shot.

The teeth are induction hardened so they can not be resharpened.

I know what you are thinking, you can't have one saw to do fine joinery and breaking down stock and making finishing cuts. Well I figured that one handsaw that does a barely mediocre job at all those tasks is better than an imaginary set of saws that do...well...nothing. So I sold my soul and bought a mass manufactured, uncomfortable plasticky handled $12 hand saw with unsharpenable Japanese style teeth. Excuse me while I go feel shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment