Sunday, February 17, 2013

Do what you love, and love what you do

It is funny how when you are in a certain frame of mind you always seem to find things that appear to echo how you are feeling. While I was wandering the digital highway I ran across a wonderful video narrated by Alan Watts.You can watch the video below to get the full effect of his words and imagery...but be careful, it might just make you quit your job.


This video stuck a deep chord with me as I am somewhat a product of this philosophy. I went to school for Mechanical Engineering, but after four years of school and several internships I realized that this was not what I wanted to be doing, especially since work takes up so much of ones adult life.

To me, this looks like hell on earth.

So I made a decision, a brash one maybe, but it was mine to make. I would spend my life creating things on my own terms. Yes I would have to get a job to pay the bills, but why not have it somewhat related to the things that I truly want to do with my life. So I took a job as a carpenter. The work is hard and seldom glamorous, but I feel fulfilled at the end of each day.

The view from my "office" this week. What did yours look like?

Do I regret it? Not in the least. I built my own house for a fraction of what it would have cost if I hired someone else to build it while I withered away in a cubicle. No one can ever take your knowledge away...except for father time, but he does whatever the heck he wants anyways so I wouldn't worry about that. And on top of that I get to take beaten down, outdated houses, and build something unique and beautiful everyday of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment